Exide Technologies Product Development Engineer in Fort Smith, Arkansas
This individual will design and develop innovative, cost effective battery products for Industrial Network Power applications. Areas of activities include electrochemical design and component design. The position is located in Fort Smith, AR.
To perform this job successfully, an individual must be able to perform each essential duty under the guidance of the appropriate supervisor and/or independently. Essential duties include the following; other duties may be assigned.
• Design new products to meet requirements of customers and/or marketing and sales. Effectively translate the “voice of the customer” to new products. Product breadth includes all products currently in the industrial business portfolio.
• Initiate and assist in new cost improvement projects focused on improving the cost and quality of current product lines. This may include new or enhanced design, materials or process related projects.
• Facilitate the introduction of new or modified materials to the product line and provide technical support data to Marketing to create a compelling sales story.
• Prepare Bills of Material and Engineering Change orders in support of new products or continuous improvement projects
• Issue product specifications to match product construction or in support of other departments
• Initiate prototype and design validation builds, coordinate builds effectively with the plants, capture build successes and failures
• Make oral and written presentations (i.e. monthly status report)
• Contribute to product related problem solving activities
• Manage projects which require strong cross functional engagement. Facilitate team building.
• Effectively capture cost reduction savings and determine impact to product lines and the business.
• Interface with customers as required to solve customer field/engineering problems and present new ideas
• Facilitate product related standardization to global standards as applicable.
The requirements listed below are representative of the knowledge, skill, and/or ability required. Reasonable accommodation may be made to enable individuals with disabilities to perform the essential functions.
Education, Experience, Certifications:
• Minimum of Bachelor’s degree in Chemical or Mechanical Engineering
• Minimum of two years’ experience in product design/development. Battery experience preferred.
• An equivalent amount of experience in a technical area related to battery development or battery production. Design knowledge and manufacturing experience with lead acid products is preferred
• Demonstrate an ability to read and interpret technical documents, specifications and CAD drawings.
• Ability to write routine reports and correspondence and to speak effectively before groups
• Planning & Organizing – Ability to generate and execute project plans, develop work breakdown structures, managing schedule, objectives, resources and budget in a cross functional environment.
• Effectively prioritize tasks to meet project schedules – work on multiple tasks simultaneously, both independently and in a team-oriented environment.
• Experience with standard Project Management process’s is a plus (ex. KT)
• Ability to calculate figures such as statistical, algebraic and trigonometric values, proportions, percentages, area, circumference, and volume
• Familiarity with the application of basic concepts of algebra, geometry, and trigonometry
• Familiarity with Design of Experiments
• Familiarity with Six Sigma and Project Management tools is a plus
• Ability to solve practical problems and handle a variety of concrete variables in situations where only limited standardization exists
• Experience with Design of Experiments and/or DMAIC/Six Sigma is a plus
PC Software Knowledge:
• Strong computer skills including knowledge of Windows based programs, spreadsheets and word processing programs.
• Familiarity with statistical analysis and engineering based computer programs
• Experience with Min-Tab is a plus
• Hearing, speaking, seeing, writing, standing, lifting (50 lbs), sitting, bending, walking, and carrying
• Normal office environment and battery plant visits where there is some exposure to lead, acid, fumes, dirt, and noise
• Basic knowledge of CAD systems and ability to read drawings
• With assistance, the ability to translate basic chemical and electrochemical concepts to functioning battery designs.
• FEA experience is a plus
Travel, additional requirements:
Travel is required in order to execute the objectives of the position and business and will vary depending on the business priorities and business flow and can be as much as 25%.
Exide Technologies is an equal opportunity employer where an applicant's qualifications are considered without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, age, disability, veteran status, genetic information, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, or any other basis prohibited by law.
Exide Technologies (www.exide.com) is a global provider of stored electrical-energy solutions for the transportation and industrial markets. Exide’s 130 years of technology innovation combined with operations in more than 80 countries enables the company to deliver compelling solutions for the world’s current and future power needs. Exide produces and recycles a broad range of products, serving the Transportation, Industrial Network Power and Motive Power market segments with battery and energy storage systems and specialty applications for a broad range of industries including: agricultural, automotive, electric, light and heavy-duty truck, marine, materials handling, military, mining, powersport, railroad, security, telecommunications, utility and uninterruptible power supply (UPS), among others. Exide is Powering the World Forward - history and scale combined with a start-up mentality make Exide the right choice for customers who want more than simply a battery supplier.
Requisition ID 2018-1912
Position Type Regular Full-Time